+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two critical hands from $24, $10k Guarantee deepstack

Full Tilt Poker Game #29383420727: $10,000 Guarantee (228285583), Table 31 - 1000/2000 Ante 250 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:21:10 IST - 2011/03/27 [08:51:10 ET - 2011/03/27]
    Seat 1: Ainhi (35,055)
    Seat 2: OzWilko (31,429)
    Seat 3: thefattestgirls (66,341)
    Seat 4: nik1020 (18,348)
    Seat 5: Alex Vee (24,110)
    Seat 6: Daniel Kandi (116,520)
    Seat 7: frolik09 (166,548)
    Seat 8: bapython (54,728)
    Seat 9: Nidurr1 (61,624)
    Ainhi antes 250
    OzWilko antes 250
    thefattestgirls antes 250
    nik1020 antes 250
    Alex Vee antes 250
    Daniel Kandi antes 250
    frolik09 antes 250
    bapython antes 250
    Nidurr1 antes 250
    Nidurr1 posts the small blind of 1,000
    Ainhi posts the big blind of 2,000
    The button is in seat #8
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Nidurr1 [3d Ad]
    OzWilko folds
    thefattestgirls folds
    nik1020 folds
    Alex Vee folds
    Daniel Kandi has 15 seconds left to act
    Daniel Kandi raises to 4,480
    frolik09 calls 4,480
    bapython folds
    Nidurr1 calls 3,480
    Ainhi folds
    *** FLOP *** [Td 5d 9s]
    Nidurr1 checks
    Daniel Kandi bets 9,880
    frolik09 calls 9,880
    Nidurr1 has 15 seconds left to act
    Nidurr1 calls 9,880
    *** TURN *** [Td 5d 9s] [7c]
    Nidurr1 checks
    Daniel Kandi bets 22,500
    frolik09 has 15 seconds left to act
    frolik09 folds
    Nidurr1 folds
    Uncalled bet of 22,500 returned to Daniel Kandi
    Daniel Kandi mucks
    Daniel Kandi wins the pot (47,330)

How do I play this hand?!? Check calling flop and check folding turn with NFD makes me puke, but I'm not sure what else I should be doing here. Kandi clearly has an overpair to this board, and with the effective stacks this shallow, I don't think i ever get him to fold a big pair by check-jamming flop. Help, please!

Full Tilt Poker Game #29385004792: $10,000 Guarantee (228285583), Table 31 - 4000/8000 Ante 1000 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:46:36 IST - 2011/03/27 [10:16:36 ET - 2011/03/27]
    Seat 3: frolik09 (651,772)
    Seat 4: selab1 (239,255)
    Seat 8: PokerstarAA_007 (322,832)
    Seat 9: Nidurr1 (592,141)
    frolik09 antes 1,000
    selab1 antes 1,000
    PokerstarAA_007 antes 1,000
    Nidurr1 antes 1,000
    PokerstarAA_007 posts the small blind of 4,000
    Nidurr1 posts the big blind of 8,000
    The button is in seat #4
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Nidurr1 [9c Ah]
    frolik09 raises to 16,000
    selab1 folds
    PokerstarAA_007 folds
    Nidurr1 raises to 44,589
    frolik09 calls 28,589
    *** FLOP *** [5c 8c 8s]
    Nidurr1 bets 34,598
    frolik09 has 15 seconds left to act
    frolik09 raises to 69,196
    Nidurr1 calls 34,598
    *** TURN *** [5c 8c 8s] [2h]
    Nidurr1 checks
    frolik09 bets 32,000
    Nidurr1 calls 32,000
    *** RIVER *** [5c 8c 8s 2h] [7d]
    Nidurr1 checks
    frolik09 bets 89,000
    Nidurr1 calls 89,000
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    frolik09 shows [Jh Tc] a pair of Eights
    Nidurr1 shows [9c Ah] a pair of Eights
    Nidurr1 wins the pot (477,570) with a pair of Eights

Villain had been chip leader throughout the final table, and I'd seen him spew quite a bit before this. I'm asking for advice on this hand in terms of 1) whether by 3 bet sizing here is okay, given position and relative chip stacks, 2) I call his flop raise primarily because I know he knows I have a lot of Ace highs in my range, and he thinks he can get me to fold them to a flop raise, 3) I was thinking of check raising turn for value against his flopped draws, but I feel by check raising turn I get him to fold all his broadway hands which make up a large part of his range when he flats my 3 bet preflop, and these are hands he will almost always make a river bet with since he knows his K/Q/J high is obviously no good and he needs to fire river to win the pot, and I get value by inducing that bluff by flatting turn.

Any other way to play this hand?
    Last edited by The.Reshove; 03-28-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Good result but I would have folded this PREFLOP - ON THE FLOP TURN and RIVER ..... why would you want to get involved with a marginal hand like A 9 o/s ???

Your analysis of your own play is biased somewhat as there is no indication he is bluffing; you flat called his flop re-raise and if you thought you were ahead at that point you would re-raise instead you called. You simply check called the turn hoping your Ace is good as well as check calling the river hoping it was good ... I don't think given the way the betting went you were ever sure of being ahead by the river any overpair or underpair had you beat as well AK AQ AJ A10 96 suited and 64 suited any hand with 8 5 2 or 7 in it .. basically you simply called his bets and prayed he had nothing ... you would have re-raised the turn if you were sure of being ahead because A high is not a hand to inspire confidence at this stage.

You have A high with a 9 kicker ; why would you let him see the turn or river in case he hits a pair or improves ... I can see why you would play this with two pair, trips or a nut holding ... but with an A and a weak kicker it is positively horrific play and the result is more luck than good play.
    Last edited by MumbaiMagic; 03-28-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    "When torrential water tosses boulders, it is because of momentum. When the strike of a hawk breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing. Thus, the momentum of one skilled in war is overwhelming, and his attack precisely regulated".

Firstly congratz rishabh. heard from himanshu dat u took down a tourney recently. im assuming its this one. way to go

1st hand - i just checked and even against a pair of kings, u hav a little more than 46% equity. considering that on the flop, the pf raiser bet and got called b4 it got back to u, ur getting more than the correct odds to just jam here on the flop with the NFD and 1 over. u hav a bd wheel draw as well. Even if ur shove does get called, u shldnt mind it. Calling his cbet puts u in an awkward spot where u dont hav much left and if u miss on the turn, u pretty much hav to check fold. jamming on the flop also gives u some fold equity so all in all, it seems like the better play

2nd hand - i wuld 3 bet slightly bigger as ur oop and by 3 betting less than 3x, ur giving him an incentive to call with a lot of hands especially as he has a decentish stack. on the flop, i wuld cbet bit bigger. i think u cbet bout 1/3rd the pot or lil more. as played, he apparently decided to play back at u cause as u mentioned he knows u culd hav a lot of a highs. he's repping a pretty polarised range on dat board so since u mentioned he's spewy, ur A high figures to be good a lot of times. u went with ur read, nothing changed on dat turn and river. gotta know who ur calling down with A high tho and u seemed to know ur opponent here so wp

oh and mumbaimagic, if ur gonna be folding A9 pre 4 handed, gl to u.

Quote Originally Posted by donkab0mber View Post
    oh and mumbaimagic, if ur gonna be folding A9 pre 4 handed, gl to u.
    My mistake regards the preflop fold as I assumed it was 9 handed as per the 1st hand but in that case I'd have called the 16,000 and reassessed on the flop ... the pot is way too big on the flop for a hand like A 9. If you think he played it correctly ok ... but I still think he had no idea where he was once he was re-raised and called on the flop .... he continued in the hand simply hoping his Ace is good and nothing else. But that is only an opinion I am invariably wrong

But why would he let him see further cards if he is sure he is ahead on the flop; you would just rejam .. it just doesn't stack up /make any sense. I'd rather close it out and take down the pot there and then ... check calling and hoping your are a) ahead b) he doesn't hit one of his cards is spewy play ....
    Last edited by MumbaiMagic; 03-29-2011 at 03:16 AM.
    "When torrential water tosses boulders, it is because of momentum. When the strike of a hawk breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing. Thus, the momentum of one skilled in war is overwhelming, and his attack precisely regulated".

Aditya - Thanks! And yeah, I guess if I'm playing A3s from the SB with a 30BB stack, then I need to be more willing to get it in with the NFD.

Quote Originally Posted by donkab0mber View Post
    Firstly congratz rishabh. heard from himanshu dat u took down a tourney recently. im assuming its this one. way to go

1st hand - i just checked and even against a pair of kings, u hav a little more than 46% equity. considering that on the flop, the pf raiser bet and got called b4 it got back to u, ur getting more than the correct odds to just jam here on the flop with the NFD and 1 over. u hav a bd wheel draw as well. Even if ur shove does get called, u shldnt mind it. Calling his cbet puts u in an awkward spot where u dont hav much left and if u miss on the turn, u pretty much hav to check fold. jamming on the flop also gives u some fold equity so all in all, it seems like the better play
    Pretty much what is said here ... JAM the flop and let him make the tough decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MumbaiMagic View Post
    My mistake regards the preflop fold as I assumed it was 9 handed as per the 1st hand but in that case I'd have called the 16,000 and reassessed on the flop ... the pot is way too big on the flop for a hand like A 9. If you think he played it correctly ok ... but I still think he had no idea where he was once he was re-raised and called on the flop .... he continued in the hand simply hoping his Ace is good and nothing else. But that is only an opinion I am invariably wrong

But why would he let him see further cards if he is sure he is ahead on the flop; you would just rejam .. it just doesn't stack up /make any sense. I'd rather close it out and take down the pot there and then ... check calling and hoping your are a) ahead b) he doesn't hit one of his cards is spewy play ....
    I'm never getting called by a worse hand if I 3 bet the flop or check raise the turn. Hence the check calling. As I mentioned earlier, Frolik had been pretty spewy throughout the final table, and I thought my Ace high was good a high percentage of the time in that spot. I re-evaluate all broadway cards and all clubs on turn/river, and call/fold depending on his bet sizing.

Reshove first of all man you are doing great. Congrats on achieving over 30% ROI in SNG and 413% ROI in MTT on FTP.

Thanks for posting the hands for all of us to learn.

For the hands i think

1. Jam the flop, not sure why you call his C bet cos if you called with AX suited the best you can hit is a draw and i am sure your pre flop plan was to hit the draw and shove. I think shoving was +EV here.

2. Hand 2 well played only thing is maybe you could have 3 bet a to about 52k (Villain looks like he will call it from your description) you have position on him and you could have played a larger pot here. Again on the Flop make a bigger bet with position.
    Looking at how the hand played WP

Keep posting

Quote Originally Posted by saby View Post

2. Hand 2 well played only thing is maybe you could have 3 bet a to about 52k (Villain looks like he will call it from your description) you have position on him and you could have played a larger pot here. Again on the Flop make a bigger bet with position.
    Looking at how the hand played WP

Keep posting
    Great analysis - do you understand position ??? It's simple - last to act in the betting has position (SB and BB post compulsory bets so the BTN is last preflop) since he is the BB he is definitely OOP.

Also Ace high - is far from the nuts or even unbeatable - why would he want or allow the villian more cards by passively calling if he truely believes he is ahead; the villian can easily catch a card to make a pair. He was re-raised on the flop and passively called which suggests he was unsure whether his opponent had a hand or air at that point. He then simply elected to check call hoping the villian had nothing and allowing him the opportunity to catch a card to pair his hand. If he his certain he is still ahead he would or should check raise the turn and take it down there and then .... not risking losing it on a dodgy river card ... The reason he called was the villian made it cheap enough ... but he is far from certain where he was in the hand throughout ...

That said the call on the turn and river proved correct - but I disagree he was certain that we was ahead - had the villian shoved on the river. Also for a "spewy player" the villian is chip leader at that table so he must have hands a fair % of the time and he has him covered.

So calling the turn and river, hoping your Ace and your opponent has no pair or a better A is far from great play ... albeit it was a winning one. If reshove had an overpair to the board I would have less opposition to this line of play. But at the end of the day it is still only my opinion .... IF he is happy playing A 9 it that manner good luck ... it's just not for me
    Last edited by MumbaiMagic; 03-30-2011 at 03:49 AM.