+ Reply to Thread

$1/$2 PS Hand - multiple poor decisions?

this hand cam up last night in a $1/$2 game. Think I made multiple mistakes or at least did not make optimal decisions. Thoughts?
    My image is solid at the table, am playing at 16/16. I have looked to have stolen a number of blinds from later position. Villian is a very solid player who is 13/11 over 300 hands.
    PokerStars - $2 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 7 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

SB: $211.00
    BB: $309.40
    UTG: $249.30
    UTG+1: $374.70
    Hero (MP): $247.00
    CO: $200.00
    BTN: $712.75

SB posts SB $1.00, BB posts BB $2.00

Pre Flop: ($3.00) Hero has 7:heart: 8:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $6.00, fold, BTN raises to $20.00, fold, fold, Hero calls $14.00

Flop: ($43.00, 2 players) 7:spade: 7:diamond: A:diamond:
    Hero bets $22.00, BTN calls $22.00

Turn: ($87.00, 2 players) 5:heart:
    Hero checks, BTN bets $56.00, Hero calls $56.00

River: ($199.00, 2 players) 3:diamond:
    Hero bets $89.00, BTN calls $89.00

Re: $1/$2 PS Hand - multiple poor decisions?

I like the bet-check-bet line in general with trips for the deepest value, depending on board texture of course, but I feel that in this particular hand where villain's range is almost always AQs++, you have to figure out a way to get more money in the pot. Once he calls the flop, and bets the turn, he narrows his range a lot (AQs++), I think you can check-raise the turn and shove the river for value. Your hand might look like the kind that picked up a draw on the turn and bricked the river- of course, a lot of this depends on table flow, the dynamic between Hero and Villain and your previous showdowns. If you've been really, really tight, you can even take the bet-bet-bet line to get the most value from his range.

-Rishabh

10 x BB preflop with 87 ... you just got lucky .. preflop play is horrible even if the result was correct.
    "When torrential water tosses boulders, it is because of momentum. When the strike of a hawk breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing. Thus, the momentum of one skilled in war is overwhelming, and his attack precisely regulated".

Not sure how you would define a "solid" player, but some time back I saw an interview of Barry Greenstein, where he said a solid player is someone who pretty much follows the poker rulebook of starting hands and strategy on different streets and one who is quite predictable in his plays.
    If Villain is solid which in this case means he's holding AQs and above then you're definitely NOT a "solid" player for calling that raise with your holdings.
    I agree with MumbaiMagic here, calling a 10x raise which is almost 10% of your stack with 78s is wild to say the least and anything but solid. You definitely got lucky with the flop but I am assuming you lost the hand.
    The mistakes in my view:
    1. Calling a huge re-raise with 78s....not a good idea unless you realize what you are getting into and know when to pull out.
    2. I like your check on the turn but when villain bet $56 into a pot of $84 you need to decide if you really want to go any further.
    He could be holding AKs and that would be perfect for you as long as it's not diamonds and even then you got a chance. But what if he is holding AA?? In my opinion you should re-raise here unless you are willing to throw away your trips. The call was a sign of weakness.
    3. Your problem was only compounded by the 3d. If I was you, I would have checked the river too. There is no point in betting any further because only a hand better than your 78s would have called.

It would be nice if you confirmed what the villian cards were at showdown .. guessing it was a diamond flush and he called on the river maybe worried about the full house .. it is unlikely that he has AA as I imagine he would have raised with that hand on the river .. but that is the hand I would have put him on preflop ... but the hand that probably makes most sense from start to finish is KQ suited or KJ suited (diamonds) ... 7 with a better kicker I would imagine he would have raised with the flush draw on the flop ... or a hand which you had beat .. which is also possible.
    "When torrential water tosses boulders, it is because of momentum. When the strike of a hawk breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing. Thus, the momentum of one skilled in war is overwhelming, and his attack precisely regulated".

A couple of points/thoughts:
    1. While the preflop call is marginal at best, no way do I think it is horrible. If I raise here and always fold to a RR, then I will easily become a target. That said, I think in this case, against this player I should have folded and moved on.
    2. Think I should have bet out on the turn, if I am going to play 87 and I hit is as I did. I need to make sure to get maximum value.
    3. I think that the bet on the river is the proper play. At this point in the hand it was fairly obvious that he had AK to me. I was not worried about the flush here, as I dont beleive that a flush was in his preflop RR range since the A was a diamond. He could have AA, but if that is the case after my PF call I was going to lose it all anyway. Taking the above into consideration, I think that he calls here 100% of the time with his AK, but never bets out, therefore I think it was proper to bet out for value. Not that it really matters he called with AKo