+ Reply to Thread

Smile Bad Way to Bubble

Hi,

My very first post on pokerguru! I'd like to share 2 hands I played 3 days ago at the IPS 10k Double Chance Event and ask if I could have played them any differently. For both these hands, it was the final table bubble.

Hand 1:
    Blinds 1200/600, ante 200 (i think). 5 players on the table. I'm Big Blind. I have about 10BB at this point. I have A 10 offsuite. UTG, CO and Button fold. Short stacked SB (he has about 5000 chips) shoves. I tank, put him on pockets, want to play safe for the bubble, and fold. Should I have called him in such a scenario or was fold a good decision? (He eventually showed the table pocket 5's)

Hand 2:
    The very next hand. This time I am small blind. And this is the hand I still can't get over even 3 days later! This time I get AJ suited. UTG, CO, and button fold. Only me and Big Blind left. Big blind has about 20BB and is a tight player. I'm thinking if I shove, I can get him to fold and hence steal the blinds and antes of this round, to keep me in a good position for the next 4-5 hands and reach the final table. I shove, and Big blind calls. He has A 10 offsuite. Flop is KQ8. Turn is 8. Since its the bubble, quite a few people were watching the action. People start saying "its going to be a chop-chop". River is a 10. Dealer pushes my stack to the big blind, since Big blind had hit his 10 pair. I walk away. Final table starts. Its only later that I (and others) realize that I had actually rivered a straight!! My fault for not spotting the straight in time Had I done so, I'd have doubled up to 20BB, and would most probably have reached the final table. Should I have shoved in this scenario?
    Last edited by riverdiva; 05-07-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Both of these are VERY VERY easy shoves. Never even think of folding either of these!

Edit: obviously I meant the first one is a call. I can't imagine anyone would even consider folding in Hand 1...its just hilarious.
    Last edited by SuicideSpree; 05-07-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks for the advice, Prabhat.

Quote Originally Posted by riverdiva View Post
    Hi,

My very first post on pokerguru! I'd like to share 2 hands I played 3 days ago at the IPS 10k Double Chance Event and ask if I could have played them any differently. For both these hands, it was the final table bubble.

Hand 1:
    Blinds 1200/600, ante 200 (i think). 5 players on the table. I'm Big Blind. I have about 10BB at this point. I have A 10 offsuite. UTG, CO and Button fold. Short stacked SB (he has about 5000 chips) shoves. I tank, put him on pockets, want to play safe for the bubble, and fold. Should I have called him in such a scenario or was fold a good decision? (He eventually showed the table pocket 5's)

Hand 2:
    The very next hand. This time I am small blind. And this is the hand I still can't get over even 3 days later! This time I get AJ suited. UTG, CO, and button fold. Only me and Big Blind left. Big blind has about 20BB and is a tight player. I'm thinking if I shove, I can get him to fold and hence steal the blinds and antes of this round, to keep me in a good position for the next 4-5 hands and reach the final table. I shove, and Big blind calls. He has A 10 offsuite. Flop is KQ8. Turn is 8. Since its the bubble, quite a few people were watching the action. People start saying "its going to be a chop-chop". River is a 10. Dealer pushes my stack to the big blind, since Big blind had hit his 10 pair. I walk away. Final table starts. Its only later that I (and others) realize that I had actually rivered a straight!! My fault for not spotting the straight in time Had I done so, I'd have doubled up to 20BB, and would most probably have reached the final table. Should I have shoved in this scenario?
    Hey, your action is fine for the FT bubble, but for the money bubble, i would fold it. Remember that you dont want to go broke on the money bubble. If its the money bubble of a major tournament, in which i have grinded for a long time, I would fold even KK here. however, once hte money bubble is burst, I would play aggressively as I have my min cash guaranteed and go for 1st.

hand 2 - clear shove. Remember that a calling hand needs to be better than a shoving hand, as per sklansky's GAP concept. Your shove is good. The table has folded, and its SB vs BB, you have 9 bb. Good shove.

lol
    what was going on in hand 2? .. neither the dealer, nor the players realized what the best hand is? i wudnt get over this one for the next three nights either

hand 1 is a call and 2 u played rt

Hand 1: call.. player dependent.. against regs its a definite call.. against players who are playing very nitty and waiting for the bubble to burst.. fold..
    Hand 2: No comments.. lol..