View RSS Feed

Vikram Singh

The Indian Poker Scene Part 3

Rate this Entry
In the last two parts of this blog I spoke about the various aspects of the poker scene with a holistic approach - speaking more about the product that the sites offer, some of the improvements and there were positives and negatives. Now with Pokerstars India launching into orbit who knows what sort of docking hatches it will open up to this booming landscape.

I also spoke about a lack of appreciation of important factors such as variance being used to sell highly overrated action to newcomers as well as veterans.

My coach is one of the top 10% of players in the world. He runs the biggest stable and a huge chunk of this 10% top tier High Stakes crushers are in his stable.

He made me aware of how wretched variance can actually be (this applies to both upswings and downswings) and therefore a huge amount of hands should be logged to really suss out the real winners from players that are simply on sun-runs.

Now in this 3rd part I want to talk about the brass tacks. What are we doing on the felt? What are the conclusions that are drawn from it and where it all breaks down.

The hardest part of any tournament poker is the end game and suppose in the last 2 tables a really great player is on the receiving end of a 70/30 beat in a huge pot. Now, when it comes to tournaments played in India where the field sizes are small and you can re-enter to infinity, a couple of double ups from Starting Stacks is all that is needed to get near the Final table and finally that crucial pot with the 30% equity realised by a mediocre player has a huge impact on his overall equity in the prize pool.

Over just 100 tournament, this can easily happen several times and lo and behold - we have new winners and best players left and right. A reputation is built and in a market where you rarely encounter someone who knows the realness of variance, we are making new superstars by the day.

As someone who has played poker for over a decade, I know the hard work it takes to remain a consistent winner. Why? Well because I have been working hard for most of the years that I played online poker - from the days of Absolute Poker to freaking POKERSTARS DOT INDIA

I am so excited for the 17th of April!

Anyways, I digress. The point I am making is that I have been a losing player, I have fallen behind on strategy many times but the fundamentals of poker esp. some of the relevant ones here - dropping stakes, investing in getting coached, Bank Roll Management kept me on a decent level and in the last 2 years, all that hard work plus good networking and relationships I had built with global winning players paid off and it all came together.

I dedicated myself to poker and became a professional (assuming playing almost every day in the past year and a half is a good enough reason to be considered a pro). I play the games I beat and everyday inch closer to becoming competitive at high stakes.

Yes, someone who typifies 'fish on a heater' once told me to come speak to him after I've won 100$ and yes I have enemies who are the best and I am nothing compared to them. I've been called a fish on a heater as if I just won 3 prizes like some 'Batman trilogy'

Emotions are not my thing. I will gladly take criticism but others just reach head-ass-plode levels of knee-jerk reactions to someone objectively questioning their performance.

They get antagonised and over emphasise their value judgements to the point of being facts.

Cliffs: On the felt, players are too short sighted, too self-assured, and just patting each other's back, keeping a status-quo going.

Unfortunately, I don't see this 'glory hunting' 'hyping-up' trend losing traction any time soon.

When it comes to me personally tho, writing off well regarded players, yea that's me and I ain't gotta say where the best at, you know why? I just let the facts speak

I thought I might as well do some flexing of my own considering these accounts will be nuked within a few days.

Cue: Bricking every single tournament tomorrow
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments